Like I mentioned over a month ago, I wanted to submit a shirt to Made by Rae's Spring Top week. It was nice having a deadline, even though I procrastinated finishing the project until there were just a few hours left! Shame on me. The pattern I decided to use was one of my Mom's old ones from before I was born.
I was lucky enough to find a picture of her in her version. Incidentally, she is just a little pregnant with me here!
Here is how mine turned out (complete with my first son sort of in the picture too).
He was also kind enough to snap these shots of me in the shirt.
I made some alterations from the original pattern. the first was the puffiness of the sleeves. I made them less puffy than was called for.
They are still a little puffy for my liking and I don't love how they lay. I think I might just need to press them a little more. The pattern creates a sort of tent like body to the shirt.
I felt I needed a belt or something. Partially to add some color, but also to tame the tent.
I tried sewing one on and that was a disaster that ended in a LOT of unpicking. I decided a completely removable one was best.
Another addition to the pattern was just a simple trim on the hem of the shirt.
I also used purple on the cuff.
I had a bit of a hard time trying to figure out how to make a casing AND add trim. I ended up just sewing the trim on first and then sewing the elastic in. I don't love this.
The pattern wasn't super difficult (except when I try to alter things!) I probably won't make i again though. I think another style might work better for me, but I will like wearing this one just knowing that my mom made one similar.
Green fabric is Patty Reed Designs, purchased at JoAnn's.