Monday, May 3, 2010

Apple Crisp

 The picture may not be very pretty, but the food is good. I wish I could give you the original source for this recipe. My guess is Fitness magazine because it is a healthier version of a fruit crisp. I cut it out sometime in high school or shortly after, so it has been part of my recipe collection for a long time! I usually just use Granny Smith apples in it, but have also tried peaches with raspberries and that was good too. Any fruit/fruit mix could work.

Ingredients
-6 Granny Smith or Jonathan apples, sliced into eighths
-1 T lemon juice
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 3/4 C. brown sugar

- 3/4 C. rolled oats
- 3/4 C. flour
- 2 T. cold chopped butter
- 2 T. apple juice

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place cut apples in 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice and cinnamon.
In a bowl mix the sugar, oats, flour, and butter with a wooden spoon until it looks like large bread crumbs. Top the apples with mix and bake or around 30 minutes.
Is super good with vanilla ice cream!
(pre-ice cream it serves 8 and has 225 calories per serving.)

A few additional notes - I forgot the flour when I made it last night and it was still good just like that. If you don't have apple juice on hand, you can just use 2 T of water. I have used a mix of 1 T applesauce/1 T water before too. To get better coverage of topping on the apples and not be so filled to the brim, a 9x13 baking dish is also a good option.

No comments:

Post a Comment