Friday, March 5, 2010

Mmmm, Salad

This is something I posted on my family blog a few years ago, but thought I would share here. It is a homemade version of my two favorite thing to order at McDonald's. Here is a copy of that post (and just to note - the salad is back at McD's, thank goodness!):

I do not love salad. In fact, I hated making it as a kid. I have been starting to like it more as I have strayed from the general (boring) lettuce, tomatoes and carrots. Last year I tried out the premium salads at McDonald's. They were so yummy. Months ago I decided to recreate the Asian one at home and it turned out fantastic! Last night I made the Southwest one (which last time I tried to order it, the McDonald's I went to didn't have it). The Asian one was easy because you could buy the dressing and the chicken marinade. The Southwest salad required some internet research. I found a version and modified it. So, here it is...
Marinade Ingredients:
1 T. honey
1 T. lime juice
1 T. mustard
1/2 - 1 t. chopped cilantro
Salad Ingredients:
1 bag chopped romaine lettuce
1 (8 oz) chicken breast (boneless skinless)
1 roma tomato (chopped)
1/2 green pepper (chopped)
1/4 c. frozen corn (I actually eyeballed this, so 1/4 c. is a guess - same with the beans)
1/2 c. canned black beans (rinsed)
1/4 c. shredded cheese (eyeballed also)
Handful of cilantro
Lime flavored tortilla chips (Tostitio's)
Dressing Ingredients:
1/2 c. (9 T.) ranch dressing
3/4 t. apple cider vinegar
3/4 t. lime juice
3/4 t. chili powder
1/4 t. miced onions
dash of garlic powder
dash of cumin

Chicken: Mix marinade ingredients together in a plastic bag. Add chicken breast, and refrigerate at least one hour (or up to 24 hours) to marinate. Grill on Medium heat 10 minutes each side. Sllice or chop into cubes before serving.
Salad: Dump bag of lettuce in a bowl. Add green peppers, cilantro leaves, and beans. Set aside. Add a little oil to a fry pan and cook the tomatoes and corn over high to medium high heat until slightly charred. Remove from heat and cool a little. Add to salad. Add cheese. Add cooked chicken. Sprinkle on crushed chips. Top with dressing.
Dressing: Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

Now EAT, EAT, EAT!

This was enough for Nate & I with a little extra. I should have made more dressing & maybe more chicken. Next time I am going to try the method the original  suggested for the dressing - fat free ranch and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment