Saturday, May 7, 2011

Gifts for Eva

Shortly after I got married, my sister-in-law gave birth to her first baby, a little girl. I was invited to the shower and like a naive new member of the family with no kids, I gave her a big box of wipes. While that is an awesome (aka practical) gift for a second or third time mom, looking back I have often thought it wasn't very well thought out. I wished that I had given her something better and more fun. Well, fast forward about seven and  half years and I got to redeem myself! 
Despite the fact that baby #2 was also a girl and my sister-in-law might find wipes more useful this time than more clothes and blankets, I wanted to give her something I felt proud of. I got a few things from the store, including that onesie at the top that matched one I got for my own daughter.
Then, since I have a stash of blanket supplies I put together a blanket for her. It was my first time making a self binding blanket. Why haven't I done this sooner?! When I read about how to make one (which is actually pretty intuitive) on Tuesdays with Molly I bookmarked it right away to come back to in the future.
The green and pink were nice, but a little too plain for me, so I decided to add a little something that would tie into the outfits I had purchased (kinda nerdy, I know). I busted out some cookie cutters to make a perfectly fitting heart. I used scraps from another blanket that I made and let's not forget the cat that matched it.
Once that was done I still didn't feel like the gift was complete. So, why not make an appliqued onesie?
And while I'm at it, a matching skirt would be cute with it.
There, a little outfit set that also coordinates in color with the other gifts. Job complete. Redeemed myself from the box of wipes.
(And for the record, my sister-in-law is so sweet that she didn't feel like I had ripped her off with the wipes. That was just me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment